12/12/17 - 01:12 AM

Author Topic: Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - "All the Gin is Gone"  (Read 955 times)

Offline GabeGuevara

• Live by The Golden Rule
    • View Profile
    • The Robot Cave
Re: Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - "All the Gin is Gone"
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »
I just checked and saw that I had one of the best mixes in December! Thats awesome! Thanks Guys! On with the Competitions! All I need is some work! I won't let you down!

Gabe Guevara
Gabe Guevara
The Robot Cave Audio Lab

Offline JvilleJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 10:49:42 PM »
I guess different strokes for certain folks. Good mixes and I'm sure some lessons learned so I'd say this was good contest.

Offline ivan

• I-Man
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • mixrevu.com
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 09:40:49 PM »
Javierpg84,

Sorry about your disappointment. I wish we could have helped you out. As you know, in music mixing there is NEVER a definitive mathmatical answer. EVERYTHING is subjective. That's how art is. We do describe exactly how the Head2Heads work in our forum here. We also always talk about Mike Senior in every post and say that's why we have music to mix, as we do here. Nothing is EVER misrepresented. If there is anyway we can help make things more beneficial you can always contact the team directly here. Good Luck & Thanks For Your Feedback!
I love to record and mix music and meet others who love it just as much as I do.

Offline javierpg84

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »
This competition its not helping anyone in my opinion. No objective feed-backs, everything its up to subjective considerations. The wining mixes are not the best ones of the entire submissions and its surprising seeing how mixes that do not stand at par with any commercial release anywhere can get praise. Moreover, if you praise someone with evident technical errors on their mixes you are setting that aspiring technician to failure once it has to work with their first client or get the first studio gig. If you really want to improve your engineering skills and get constructive criticism go to Mike Senior's original website. All these multi-tracks used in this website are coming from there anyways. The address is http://cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm. Sorry mixrevu.com members but I am not spending more valuable time here, gearslutz.com and Mike's forum have more to offer.
Goodbye

Offline ivan

• I-Man
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • mixrevu.com
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 09:22:23 PM »
MY Reviews:

Saga - A little louder then I expected but great Bass and Piano. Loved the detail.

James - For me the standouts in your mix were the piano and trumpet, seemed like you had a little more hum them Sagas.

Ash - Loved The Balance and Bass

Frank - out of the first 4 I heard yours had more low end then most. A different take but It was cool. Seemed like it had more hum like James did.

OTC - Like Frank's mix, more low end I would have wanted more transients and high end.

Chris - Something was up with the warbles in your's  not sure if it was a problem with filters, processing or maybe corrupted files? Seemed Smashed  as well.

Aug - This was sped up right? Not sure that's my taste but maybe others liked it. Mix was ok but couldn't get passed the pitch and tempo change.

Gabe - Most different panning I heard so far. Not sure if it's my taste especially for a sextet but it wasn't bad, just different. Liked your piano as well.

Drew - To me, I won't lie I liked your mix best.

Pitta - Good mix as well. Not much to say. Drew's was a tough matchup though. lol

5OV - A little too compressed and noisy.

Nori - cool mix, but the reverb was a hair too long. It hung over the beat. Good mix overall but the reverb tail or RT60 wasn't short enough.

Fu - Not much to say. Solid mix, not great, but good.

sgwork - overall your mix was much like FU but it was a little more subtle. solid quieter mix.

Jay - Not as dynamic a mix, but it was ok.

Michael- Different panning like Gabe's but not as drastic.

Great submissions overall and very very different if you listen to them all. Nice Job!!! ;D
I love to record and mix music and meet others who love it just as much as I do.

Offline Mikael

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 04:56:57 AM »
I really like SAGA LEGIN's mix! Cheers!

Offline 5OVEREIGNTY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 03:54:46 PM »
5OVEREIGNITY the problem with your mix its not the lack of compression, instead is the overuse of compression, reverb and harmonic distortion for an acoustic jazz record. Loud its not always better. Cheers.

Oops, I think I may have submitted one of my test renders, you have my sincerest apologies, it did piss me off though :-)

Offline javierpg84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
5OVEREIGNITY the problem with your mix its not the lack of compression, instead is the overuse of compression, reverb and harmonic distortion for an acoustic jazz record. Loud its not always better. Cheers.

Offline 5OVEREIGNTY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 11:21:25 PM »
Why is there a ton of compression? Makes my mix sound like shit LOL!

Offline ivan

• I-Man
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • mixrevu.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
How do you submit your mix when you are ready to?

The link below

F.A.Q

Offline eds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:47:04 PM »
How do you submit your mix when you are ready to?

Offline ivan

• I-Man
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • mixrevu.com
Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - "All the Gin is Gone"
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »
Post Any Comments About The Head2Heads Here!

Let us know what you think about each Jazz Sextet Mix. ;D